Saturday, July 4, 2009

How Broke Can You Get Before You're Poor?

We are running out of money. The disability covers rent and not much else. A two bedroom apartment get's pretty small when no one was supposed to live in the second bedroom!

I thougth boredom would be my biggest issue -- after all, how much TV can you watch? But it turns out, it's food. They warned me he would need to eat -- said just because his mind was turned off, didn't mean his body was. I thought they were full of BS -- until my catatonic husband was up and walking into the kitchen at 2AM ransacking the fridge! He ate everything raw -- eggs, chicken, milk, fruit -- everything! I just stood there and watched -- I couldn't believe it. That was when I realized just what was happening to us. How deep we were really in it.

All I could do was cry. I should have been thrilled -- he was standing and moving and eating! -- but he didn't know me and he didn't care. He just shoved everything into his mouth and when he was done, he went back to sleep on the kitchen floor. He's still there now -- he's too heavy for me to move.

That was over $200 in groceries in one shot. I don't know when he'll get hungry again. God, what is going to happen to us? We can't afford $200 in groceries every day...


No comments:

Post a Comment